Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What You're Missing Out On the History of Geometry

This section in the Alex Lin's Lore of The World was invented by me. Obviously.
I will give you a fun, history lesson on one of the most hidden pieces of our past.
Introducing...
THE LINE PEOPLE!
"I told you this ornament came from the border of Mongolia!"
Giselle and I were in Shanghai, waiting for someone to pick us up after we got back from Taiwan. I wanted to prove that it was just another thing made in a factory in CHINA.
"Well I have proof!" I said, after a long, pointless argument. "Do you see these... these LINES etched on the bottom of this ornament? (There were these weird lines engraved on the bottom. The ornament was an Asian tent, whatever they're called).
"Yeah."
"This is the language of the... the... LINE PEOPLE, known as the, er, LINE LANGUAGE!"
(Confused look on Giselle's face)
"See, I'm an EXPERT at line language! Here, let me read it to you," I said. See, the thing is that these were just a bunch of lines intersecting each other at random points. The lines kind of look like this (except they weren't black, just etched into the bottom of white)
"THIS ORNAMENT CAME FROM A FACTORY IN CHINA," I read to her.
"Line people?'
"Well, yeah, line people! You haven't heard of them?"
"No."
"Okay. So, the line people was a tribe of... people who lived long ago! It was said that they were the ones who invented lines and applied them for their own communication. Experts... could like... glance at a bunch of lines intersecting each other and translate it out loud and stuff."
"Why were they really called the line people?"
"Well... because they, MOVED like lines! They could only move three ways: vertically, horizontally, and diagonally. Yeah!"
"Fine!" Giselle liked, stared at the lines on the bottom again and looked at it. "I can read Line language too! THIS ORNAMENT CAME FROM THE BORDER OF MONGOLIA."
"No, no, no!" I said quickly. "You're reading this wrong! You're reading this is SQUIGGLE language!"
"Squiggle?"
"Yes! See, in the tribe of the Line people, some people started... squiggling... and... the leader, um EXILED them from the tribe! And they formed their own group called the Squiggle people and made their own language, based on line language. So you could easily read a bunch of actual lines out loud in Squiggle language. That is a common mistake for beginners of the Line language!"
"Are they enemies?"
"Why, of course! Since then, the Line and Squiggle people have been mortal enemies! They fight in a big battlefield in a showdown of line and squiggle movement! There's always blood and victory and cupcakes!"

Which side do you choose? Will you side with the Line people, or squiggle over to the Squiggle people? The choice is yours to make!
(If necessary, I'll make some fanfics about this).

UPDATE: Alex's Lore of the World is now changed to The Alex Lin Wiki: Lore of the World :)


2 comments:

  1. Hmm.... well, I guess I'm a squiggle person.
    I think I would be one of the ones to take the language with lines and squiggle off with it. Squiggles are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... lines.
    I mean, at least line people got it RIGHT that the ornament came from a factory in China.
    Plus, we're already squiggle people. The only difference between us and them is that they are descended from the line people.

    ReplyDelete

PUSH THAT COMMENT BUTTON! PUSH IT!